DUFFY - Samson - 17/11/2016
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
Hearing: 17 November 2016 at [Withheld]
Members of the Board:
- Judge A Kiernan – Panel Convenor
- Dr P Taylor
- Ms M Coleman
DECISION OF THE BOARD
1. Samson Duffy, aged 42, is listed again before the Board. He is serving a nine-year sentence for sexual offending against children. He was convicted after trial and maintains his innocence.
2. He has a high security classification, a RoC*Rol of 0.704 and his sentence end date is 10 August 2019.
3. In November 2015 Mr Duffy waived his appearance. He has also waived an appearance today.
4. The parole assessment report records no progress on his sentence towards rehabilitation or reintegration. He has been transferred to this prison as of June this year and it is recorded that he has stated “he was set up” and does not accept guilt and, if he did do programmes he would be accepting guilt.
5. The DTU and the STOP are on his sentence plan. Mr Duffy has not submitted any proposal.
6. There is also on the Board’s file a psychological assessment dated 1 October 2015. He did not attend that assessment.
7. Mr Duffy has a long criminal history which includes violence, dishonesty and driving offending but, prior to these convictions, no sexual offending. At present Mr Duffy is a convicted sex offender and without engagement in any rehabilitation, must be seen as an undue risk to the safety of the community.
8. Today, parole is declined. He will be listed again before the end of May 2018 and, in any event, by 31 May 2018.
Judge A Kiernan