MOANAROA - James Tawhirimatea Frazer- 20/05/2016
Under section 21(2) of the Parole Act 2002
James Tawhirimatea Frazer MOANAROA
Hearing: 20 May 2016 at [Withheld]
Members of the Board:
Judge M Crosbie (Panel Convenor)
Ms F Pimm
Ms L Campbell
DECISION OF THE BOARD
1. Mr Moanaroa appeared before the Board today for being eligible for further consideration for early release on parole. He is 30 years of age and is serving a sentence for, inter alia, rape and other violent offending. His parole eligibility date was 10 July 2014 and his statutory release date is 8 March 2020.
2. He was last seen by the Board on 8 June 2015.
3. Mr Moanaroa has a moderate RoC*Rol rating of 0.533.
4. Today he was supported by [Withheld]. Mr Moanaroa did not seek parole today and this is because he is now enrolled in the [Withheld] programme. There has been quite a shift from Mr Moanaroa in terms of acceptance of his offending and he now accepts his offending and is willing and open to appropriate treatment. The Board is informed that Mr Moanaroa is polite and compliant on the wing.
5. Mr Moanaroa’s [Withheld] attended today in support and spoke to the Board. [Withheld] support is very important both while in the prison but also in terms of constructing viable rehabilitation and reintegration conditions.
6. Mr Moanaroa did show some insight in terms of what he needs to do for himself, describing it as “picking apart the bits and pieces” and “looking at what makes him tick” and coming out a better person.
7. Mr Moanaroa effectively sought a hearing in a year’s time, to enable completion of a programme and to allow a release proposal to be put before the Board. The Board believes that is an appropriate course. Given the offending and the fact that he is yet to conclude the treatment programme, the Board cannot be satisfied that at this time he does pose an undue risk to the safety of the community and it declines his release on parole.
8. Mr Moanaroa will not be seen any earlier than May 2017.
Judge M Crosbie