MIKUS - Jules Pierre - 16/12/2015
Jules Pierre MIKUS
Hearing: 16 December 2015 via AVL from NZPB Head Office, Wellington to [Withheld] (on papers)
Members of the Board:
Hon. MA Frater – Panel Convenor
Mr N Trendle
Assoc. Prof. P Brinded
Mr A Shaw
In attendance: [Withheld] (Corrections – Psychologist)
DECISION OF THE BOARD
1. 57 year old Jules Pierre Mikus was scheduled to be seen today to consider the dual issues of parole and postponement.
2. He is serving sentences of life imprisonment for murder and preventive detention for rape imposed in 2002.
3. As he has done on each occasion since he first became eligible to be considered for parole, Mr Mikus opted not to appear before the Board today. He signed a waiver. The reason given for doing so was that he is not appearing pending an appeal.
4. We take it from that that Mr Mikus is continuing to deny his index offences and, as far as we are aware, all previous sexual offending.
5. He has refused to undertake any rehabilitative interventions to address his offending. He needs to do so. He is assessed as posing a very high risk of sexual offending and, we note, has a high PCL:SV score.
6. In the circumstances there is no question of parole. It is declined.
7. Unfortunately, because of an administrative omission, Mr Mikus was not served with formal notice of his rights in relation to the postponement hearing. Under the legislation in force at the time of the last hearing, when the postponement issue was raised, Mr Mikus had to be given specific notice of his rights to legal representation and advice. Although the requirements have changed following the recent amendment to the Parole Act, we have decided to adjourn the hearing in relation to the postponement issue. That matter will be dealt with at a Board in March 2016. At that stage the Board will be able to consider imposing an order of up to five years duration from today.
8. Mr Mikus has the right to consult a lawyer in respect of this matter and to have that person make oral and/or written submissions on his behalf at the next hearing.
Hon. MA Frater